History of GRSL
Gladesville RSL was formed in 1938 with a total of 80 members. In 1950 the formation of Boys and Girls Clubs took place. The two clubs eventually combined and formed the Youth Club which opened in 1962. This initiative taken by the Gladesville Sub-Branch and supported by the Club was to be the foundation of the state-wide RSL Youth Movement.
Throughout the mid 1970’s the third floor was added to the building and a most welcome elevator officially opened in 1974. In 1988 various memorabilia was gathered and placed in a “time capsule” to be opened on the occasion of the Club’s 100th Anniversary in 2038.
Throughout 2005 renovations were completed to build a ‘smoker friendly’ terrace area through the new smoking legislations. Renovations also included a new kitchen and a refurbished reception area. In late 2007 the ground floor area of the Club was completely renovated. The reovated Five Brasserie was also reopened. In August 2008 the Club opened its refurbished Sunset Lounge that includes two new outdoor entertaining areas. Club Membership is now approximately 5,000.
The Club is proud to be a supporter of a range of community and sporting groups in the local area. Gladesville RSL is proud to be a supporter of the Gladesville RSL Sub Branch, the Gladesville RSL Youth Club and a range of Sporting Sub-Clubs. Gladesville RSL also participates in the Club Grants scheme which funds local community groups and also supports many community associations through in-kind donations such as function facilities and donations.